Monday, March 10, 2008

Back in the city

Damon and I just returned from our lovely romantic boat trip and my head is still spinning a bit. There was so much to watch as we cruised through the canals. It gave us a little break from the crazy city life in which you fear for your life crossing the streets.
Our crew were really sweet guys and they wanted to keep things romantic for Damon and I. We had excellent candlelight dinners under the stars. They picked me fresh flowers. It was very comfortable and we were well taken care of. We even had a portrait of Jesus over the honeymoon suite just to make sure we were feeling super safe.
The canals were so incredible. There people swimming and bathing all around us. Hundreds of birds flying by and enjoying the water around us. Goats and cows everywhere laying in the sun, a smattering of chickens and many, many ducks. Women washing clothes by beating them loudly on rocks. We cruised by many fruit trees, rice fields, schools and churchs. Kids played and waved at us as we went on by asking the inevitable question of, "One pen?".
I think this is the new hello for kids in India. It is screamed across the river at us. Off the boat, as soon as they see a western face they begin to follow us. It is very strange to be thought of as being rich. It is so hard to see how some of these people and live and work so hard for so little really got to me after a while. It really makes me appreciate San Francisco and how easy life is there, even when my life doesn't seem so easy.

Even though it makes me sad sometimes, the people here have been really nice to us and there is so much beauty all around them. Something money can not buy.

Debbie

No comments: