Sunday, March 2, 2008

Here I am...

Yesterday was one of those moments where I had to ask myself, how did I get here? Damon and I decided to have a Ayurvedic Treatment. We didn't really know what to expect but I figured these places are all around Varkala, what the hell. So we went the center and talked to the doctor. Damon talked mostly about his broken arm and having a scratchy throat, and me, I wanted to relax and I mentioned my hurt tail bone. So what, you ask, is an Ayurveda Treatment? Here it goes.

We were sent off into two separate rooms. When I walked in I was greeted by two really sweet girls that immediately told me to strip. "All of it?" Yes they say. No bra, no underwear, just a little teeny strip of cloth tied between my legs. So there I am totally naked with strangers and they tell me to sit while they pour hot oil down my back. One of the starts to rub my back in a circular fashion. I think to draw out all my impurities. They pour hot oil on my head and give me a head rub pulling and tugging at my hair. Very invigorating. This is all well and good. After this they point to the bed. I'm a bit more nervous now.

Now I am a open minded person but being completely naked with strangers is a bit bizarre. I lay on my stomach. They are looking at places that even I never see. Then the dance began. They girls were amazing. Again I was rubbed down hot oil and the both in rhythm did the circular rub down of my body. They started on the back then between the butt cheeks and down the legs. Over and over again. It is very quick and they use sweeping motions. Weirdly enough, I am relaxed. Then I am flipped over where the put on more hot oil rub down my boobs down the stomach and down the legs. All why they are asking me. "How old are you?", "Do you have a job?", and " Do you have husband?" Which was wonderful to answer with a yes.

The last bit was sticking a boiling hot wrap between my butt cheeks and on my tail bone. It was shockingly hot. But like all of this I took it and smiled.

When the treatment was over(about 1.5 hour) I was brought in the bathroom where I was soaped up and bathed. It was kind if a reminder of being a child. Very sweet and loving.

As strange as all of it was I was happy I did it. There is just something so wonderful about forcing yourself to go beyond what you know. A true spiritual happening... Something that I expect to have happen many a time on this India adventure.

Debbie

1 comment:

punk said...

You had me at butt cheeks.